At Holy Spirit School we are committed to ensure that all students and staff attending this school are protected from skin damage caused by harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. We are also aware that as educators it is our role to teach our children responsible practices to reduce the risk of skin damage resulting from exposure to the sun.
As part of our committment we will:
- require our children to wear a wide brimmed school hat whenever they are outside (eg. recess, lunch, sport and excursions) during Term 1 and Term 4. Our school staff are found to actively model wearing broad-brimmed hats while on duty and on outside activities;
- provide SPF 30 + broad spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen for staff and students use;
- encourage the daily application of sunscreen before school and prior to the lunch break;
- encourage children to use available areas of shade for outdoor activities
- organise outdoor activities be held before and after peak UV time;
- incorporate programs on skin cancer prevention and sun safety into the curriculum at all grade levels.